Sometimes, as a mom, I feel like a laundromat. it is like a never ending cycle of fluff and fold! And because I am ALWAYS doing laundry I don’t always think about the washing machine itself, however like any other machine or tool in your home there is always some maintenance and cleaning required. But I bet a lot of us neglect to think about cleaning our washing machine? Am I right? Gross! I do it too, don’t feel judged!
I thought is would be nice to have a quick tutorial on how to clean a top loader washing machine!
Clean Your Washing Machine!
How to Clean a Top Loader Washing Machine:
- Fill the washer with HOT water and add 1 quart distilled white vinegar, to break up buildup and mineral deposits. Let agitate for about 3 minutes. Then stop the cycle and set a timer for 1 hour, while it soaks.
- While the vinegar soaking, dip a scrubber sponge in the vinegar water and wipe all the nooks and crannies of your washer. Don’t forget the knobs, lid and the exterior. Wipe dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean and scrub any built in dispensers while it is soaking.
- Turn you cycle back on and run through a complete cycle.
- Again, fill the washer with HOT water. Add 1 quart of chlorine bleach to the water to disinfect and let the machine agitate for about 3 minutes, Then stop the cycle and set a timer for 1 hour, while it soaks. Turn you cycle back on and run through a complete cycle.
- Run one last short cycle without any cleaners to remove any residual cleaners.
Enjoy, for the five minutes that the machine can stay out of use!
Do you need instructions for cleaning a front loading machine, here they are!