5 Simple Sanding Tips!
1. When you are building projects that needs sanding, one of the biggest mistakes a beginner might make is putting too much pressure on the sander. Allow the sander to do the work.
2. On flat surfaces, always sand with the grain of the wood, meaning sand parallel with the basic direction of the lines of the wood grain, don’t sand perpendicular to those lines.
3. Start out with a heavy grit (which is actually the lower number like 60 or 80) Then jump up and work your way into the larger numbers and finer grits as you go til you get to the desired smoothness.
4. For painted you need to sand to at least 120 grit. For staining minimum 220 grit.
5. When spray painting furniture etc to get a glossy professional finish be sure to lightly sand between coats with a 320 grit sanding pad. Do not sand after the final coat if you want to keep the finish even. If you want a burnished effect on a piece of furniture, spray paint with flat paint, then sand after the final coat (being sure not to remove excess paint) It is a unique smooth finish that is worth giving a try.